This is a recipe I stumbled across and it completely intrigued me. I wanted to try it instantly, and boy, it was delicious! It can be done various ways. You don’t have to make this “version” of chili, you can actually just make the topping and use you’re own left over chili. It’s easy to make and takes only 20 minutes!
- 1lb Italian sausage (sweet or hot)
- 2 TSP chili powder
- 1 15ounce can of Kidney Beans, drained
- 1 14.5ounce can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup of jarred salsa (your choice!)
- 1 box of corn bread mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
The How To Part:
- Remove the casings from the sausage and discard.
- Pre-heat oven to 400degrees.
- In a large skillet, crumble sausage and cook until there is no more pink showing.
- Drain off the fat.
- Add the chili powder and continue to stir for about 1 minute.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, and salsa and let simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl combine the corn bread mix, egg and milk. Whisk together until the corn bread badder forms.
- Add the cheese. (now, if you know anything about me or read this blog often, you’ll know I don’t measure cheese…so put however much you like in there, or follow the recipe.)
- Stir badder until cheese is mixed thoroughly.
- Transfer the chili into a 9X9inch or 11X7inch baking dish.*
- Top the chili in the baking dish with the corn bread mixture. You’ll need a spatula or spoon to spread it around across the chili.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
*I added a layer of cheese in-between the chili. I spread 1/2 of the chili mixture in the dish then topped with cheese then added the rest of the chili before topping with corn bread. It was delicious!
See, told you it was super simple! This is an easy quick meal night when you don’t have a lot of time. When the pie had finished baking, I also topped it with some more cheese and put it back in the oven for 5 minutes. (I told you, I love cheese! I don’t follow suggestions when it comes to cheese!)
Hope you enjoy this recipe!
eat well, live well.